Sunday, April 10, 2011

Back Home Again #22


Last picture of Mt. Ararat from our apartment balcony April 2011
    
Well, you know how the saying goes that into everyone’s lives some rain must fall. The rain fell, but it was more like a big thunderstorm. I had been experiencing some problems with one of my eyes and finally went to the eye doctor and she informed me that I had a detached retina. So, with a lot of consultation with doctors at home and abroad, the decision was made that we would return to Salt Lake City as soon as possible. I was diagnosed, packed up (thanks to another Senior Couple, the Pincocks) and on the plane within about 18 hours. It was not exactly how we had planned on exiting, to say the least. We still had some sites to see, some souvenirs to purchase and a lot of hugs to give to those we’ve come to know and love. I don’t know if we’ll ever get back, but if the Armenians work hard and are able to get a temple, and we’re not too old (well, we’re already that, but you know what I mean), we will return.

We loved the experience we had of serving our Heavenly Father and his children in Armenia. There were trials and challenges, of course, but we know that as the Lord told Joseph Smith (Sec. 122: 7) “all these things shall give thee experience and shall be for thy good.” We have made many new friends and have come to appreciate all of them and love them, too. Ours lives have so enriched and we pray that we’ll be able to do more missionary work in the future…we just need to stop the clock on our aging bodies.

I’ll try to keep you up to date on what we’re up to and how the surgery goes. We’re excited that we can see our new granddaughter, Merit Sue, and we will actually be here to help our daughter Sue, with the twins she’s expecting in June.

We send our love to you all, dear friends and family.

Elder and Sister Peterson




4 comments:

  1. Sorry you had to leave sooner than expected, but we are happy to have you home safe. Thanks for your service and great example. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Patty, I will keep you in my prayers that the surgery will go well. I am so glad you were able to serve in Armenia. What a great experience. Who knows what the future may bring! Love you, Margi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home, sireli Petersonner! I am so sorry your mission ended so abruptly, but I just want to thank you for serving our beloved Armenians not once but TWICE!
    You will be in my prayers.
    Metz sirov,
    Noelle (Quyr Brough :) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. We missed going to the Pandok with you tonight and are saying our prayers for your surgery. Take care, we know you are in the Lord's hands. We loved being in Armenia with you (lots!) May all be well. Love, Gloria & John Rich

    ReplyDelete